Compiled by Dick Oakes
If your are evacuating an area or you are stranded in your vehicle, you should make sure your vehicle is prepared to help you survive. The following items should be included in your vehicle, and be sure to rotate the items periodically.
- Always maintain at least 1/2 tank of gas.
- Bag of sand.
- Basic tools.
- Battery operated radio and batteries.
- Blankets and sleeping bag.
- Bleach for disinfecting.
- Booster cables.
- Bottled water.
- Can opener.
- Cell phone.
- Class ABC fire extinguisher.
- Day pack to carry items, if you must leave your vehicle.
- Essential medications.
- Fire extinguisher (5 lb., A-B-C type).
- First-aid kit and manual.
- Flashlights with extra batteries.
- Food and water for three days.
- Jumper cables.
- Money and credit cards.
- Non-perishable food stored in coffee can.
- Outdoor clothing.
- Paper and pencils/pens.
- Plastic bags.
- Pre-moistened wipes.
- Radio with batteries.
- Reflectors and flares.
- Rubber hose (short) for siphoning.
- Shoes (extra pair of good ones).
- Sleeping bag.
- Snacks, such as granola bars and raisins.
- Tire repair kit and pump.
- Waterproof/windproof matches.
Keep first aid kit and food and water close to the driver's seat if you are travelling alone. You may become trapped in your vehicle and be unable to access your vehicle's storage area. Most important, remain calm.